Migrating Classic Google Sites to the new Google Sites
Five years ago Google introduced an updated version of Google Sites which is a rebuilt version of what is now known as Classic Google Sites. The New Google Sites is now the default for website creation in Google Workspace. in 2020 as Google began to phase out the Classic Google Sites. Recently Google updated the timeline for migrating from the old Classic Google Sites to the new Google Sites.
The most recent timeline for migration is:
- Starting June 1, 2022, users will no longer be able to edit any remaining classic Sites in your domain.
- Starting July 1, 2022, users will no longer be able to view classic Sites unless they are converted to the new Google Sites. Furthermore, users will no longer be able to use the Classic Sites Manager, the bulk site conversion tool.
Kincaid IT recommends notifying your end-users as soon as possible about migrating any Sites they still have using Classic Sites Manager. All users need to transition to new Sites by July 1, 2022. Learn more about converting classic Sites at Google’s Help Center.
It is also recommended that users adhere to the following best practices when migrating their sites: In preparing for this migration, the following best practices are recommended:
- Create an archive of the classic Google Sites using the Classic Sites Manager. This will allow users to refer to their site at a later date, if needed.
- After you’ve converted a classic Google Site into a new Google Site, double check the sharing settings to make sure the correct people still have access.
- check your audience settings before you publish your new Site to make sure the appropriate audience has access.
- Decide whether collaborators can share your site with other users or publish the site in sharing settings in your new Google Site.
Migrating from the classic Google Sites to the new Google Sites was a topic on this month’s edition of The Admin Briefing webinar. Google frequently releases new features and changes policies and settings inside of Google Workspace. The Admin Briefing is a monthly webinar that discusses how these changes may impact your school or organization. Watch this month’s webinar or subscribe to The Briefing on our events page.